Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Corn Fritters

Going off the high that is Cheesecake Factory's corn fritters I decided to give Martha Stewart's recipe a try. The fritters came together easily but they were lacking for me. They were more like corn pancakes and I was expecting more of a crunch. They also tasted a little bland; I think some sugar would have given them the taste I was hoping to attain. These are described as being savory but I think a bit of sugar would have given them a nice flavor kick that would have picked up on the natural sweetness of the corn.

Corn Fritters
Source: Martha Stewart (here)

3 ears corn, husks and silk removed (I used canned corn, about 1 cup)
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Sour cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Remove kernels: Cut off tip of each cob; stand in a wide shallow bowl. With a sharp knife, slice downward to remove kernels. To bowl, add milk, egg, sugar, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mix. Fold in cornmeal and flour.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Working in two batches, drop batter into pan by heaping tablespoons. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt; place in oven. Repeat. Keep warm in oven up to 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream, if desired.
There won't be a TWD post today. That post will be up later in the week once I decide whose Thanksgiving dinner this dessert will be a part of. Thanksgiving is being celebrated 3 times this week and I am so ready for the turkey feast.

1 comment:

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

These look great! Good luck on your last day of work and thanks for your encouragement!:) you are so right, life is more fun when we take chances!